Plastic Free July is one of the most influential environmental campaigns across the world. Set up by the Plastic Free Foundation, Plastic Free July is a global campaign that focuses on encouraging people to swap single use plastics for more environmentally friendly alternatives.
Plastic waste has been a big topic over the last few years, with a lot of companies making positive changes with the products they produce and their packaging. Many eyewear companies have been focusing on sustainable products for a long time and one of the top brands for sustainable eyewear at the moment is Eco Eyewear.
Eco have produced a fantastic range of spectacles and sunglasses from a range of biobased and recycled materials. Their newest collection is made from recycled ocean waste such as fishing nets, trawls, and ropes. These are then cleaned and broken down into pellets which are then used to make the eyewear. Eco’s mission doesn’t stop there, not only do they organise beach clean ups across America, but they also plant a tree for every frame purchased, giving back to our environment!
Aside from choosing plastic free, sustainable eyewear there are other ways you can take part in Plastic Free July and help to reduce the amount of single use plastics being thrown away.
Here are just a few examples from the Plastic Free July website of ways you can make the switch.
- Use reusable items such as water bottles, coffee cups, food containers, metal straws
- Look for plastic free alternatives to your everyday items such as toothbrushes, washing up sponges, soaps, and shampoo
- Where you can, buy loose items such as fruit and vegetables, you can use your own veg bags to contain them
- Try and avoid buying disposable items if you can
- Check your recycling bins and the items you can put it them to ensure you are recycling correctly.
For more information about our sustainable eyewear, contact us today or pop in and browse our collection.