Contact lenses are often preferred over glasses for many reasons; however, it is incredibly important to look after your lenses properly to maintain good eye health and comfort and get the best out of your lenses.
Here is a list of useful dos and don’ts for caring for your contact lenses and eyes during use.
- Remove your contact lenses if any redness, irritation or burning occurs
- Attend your routine contact lens aftercare appointments. Your Optometrist will assess the health of the eyes alongside checking your prescription.
- Comply with the instructions given to you about your contact lenses, including wear schedule and the types of solutions to use.
- Remove your contact lenses before going to sleep, unless you have been instructed you can sleep in your lenses.
- Replace your contact lenses if they become damaged or torn.
- Insert your lenses before applying makeup.
- Discard any contact lenses and solution that are past their expiry date.
- Make sure you have a pair of up-to-date spectacles for when you don’t wear your contact lenses.
- Don’t wear contact lenses when using eye medication or eye drops, unless they are suitable for use with lenses.
- Do not use water or saliva to wet or clean your contact lenses.
- Don’t expose your contact lenses to cosmetic sprays such as hairspray. Close your eyes to apply.
- Don’t forget to wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling your contact lenses and storage pot.
- Do not share your contact lenses with anyone.
- It is not recommended to wear contact lenses when coming into contact with water. This includes showering, swimming, hot tubs, and water sports.
- Do not use tweezers to pick up contact lenses or remove them from your eye.
Looking after your contact lenses correctly ensures maximum comfort, clear vision and maintains good eye health. For more information about contact lenses, or contact lens care contact us today.